What Women Want (autographed, paperback edition)
Underhill reports on the growing importance of women in everybody’s marketplace—what makes a package, product, space, or service “female friendly." Underhill offers a tour of the world’s marketplace—with shrewd observations and practical applications to help everybody adapt to the new realities.
As large numbers of women become steadily wealthier, more powerful, and more independent, their choices and preferences are transforming our commercial environment in a variety of important ways, from the cars we drive to the food we eat; from how we gamble, play, and use the internet—in short, how we spend our time and money.
With the same flair and humor that made his previous books universally appealing, Underhill examines how a woman’s role:
- As homemaker has evolved into homeowner and what women look for in home.
- How the home gym and home office are linked to the women's health movement and home-based businesses.
- Why the refrigerator has trumped the stove as the crucial appliance.
- How every major hotel chain in the world has redesigned rooms and services for the female business traveler.
- Why some malls, appealing to women, are succeeding while others fail.
- What women look for online and why some retail websites.
“The point is,” writes Underhill, “while men were busy doing other things, women were becoming a major social, cultural, and economical force.”
And, as he warns, no business can afford to ignore their power and presence.
“(What Women Want) will make female consumers think differently about their shopping and, hopefully, encourage stores to sell a whole lot differently.”
-Jayne O'Donnell, retail and consumer reporter, USA Today
“If I were going to read one book to drive my sales in the years ahead, this is the book.”
-Daniel Butler, Vice President Retail Operations, National Retail Federation